Falls in Older Adults: A serious issue that may be predictable and preventable
By Karla Lambe. Community Support Connections – Meals on Wheels and More (CSC).
Falls are a serious issue for older adults with an estimated one in three older adults experiencing a fall each year. Ontario spends $1 billion per year addressing fall-related injuries in older adults, although many falls are predictable and preventable.
Did you know that 50 hours of standing exercise each year can prevent one fall? CSC offers free gentle exercise classes at more than 100 sites in Waterloo Region plus rotating falls prevention classes. We use the evidence based, nationally accredited SMART™ (Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together) program as a basis for a variety of programs that help clients maintain or increase physical health and functional mobility.
Find the perfect program for you! CSC offers:
- WALC (Wellness Active Living Club) – one hour group exercise offered once or twice a week in community locations by trained volunteers;
- Fab-Fit (Functional Ability, Functional Independence Training) – trained volunteers are matched with clients for one-on-one, in home exercise once a week for 12 weeks; the goal is to transition clients to group exercise or self-maintenance;
- SMART™ In Home – trained Gentle Exercise Facilitators are matched with clients for one-on-one, in home exercise three times a week for six weeks to support transition to group programming. Referral required;
- SMART™ Group Classes – 45 minute group gentle exercises led by trained Gentle Exercise Facilitators two or three times a week in retirement homes or other community settings; and
- Falls Prevention Programming – Registered Kinesiologists provide six week educational modules coordinated with SMART™ group classes.
If you would like more information on CSC's exercise programs, please call 519-772-8787 and ask for Jenn at ext. 228 or email email@example.com. If you would like information on Falls Prevention, please contact one of our two Kinesiologists on staff, Kylie at ext. 222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and Jessica at ext. 257 or email email@example.com.